Paul Dano is amazing in Prisoners.


I saw this once a few years ago and remember it being really heavy but also very well done. I wanted to give it another look since we’re about to see Paul Dano play the Riddler, and the glimpses we’ve seen of him in the promotional material have really reminded me of his look in this.I just finished my rewatch and two things really stuck out to me. First, this thing is super depressing. Like, even more than I remembered. But more importantly, Paul Dano might just be the best part of this even though there’s a lot of other really good stuff here and he’s not even in it all that much comparatively.He just fits what this role needs exactly. He needs to be creepy and suspicious enough that you can buy Hugh Jackman being so confident that he’s guilty while also being sympathetic so that you feel bad for all the abuse he takes throughout, especially considering what the resolution of the mystery ends up being.And he pulls it off perfectly. You’re constantly wondering whether he’s really as helpless as he seems or if it’s all an act. Plus, his performance in the scenes where he’s been kidnapped is so grounded and understated that it makes those scenes feel even more realistic and disturbing.I just wanted to highlight his performance since I think it sometimes gets overlooked in favor of the more central characters when the movie is discussed. I was already excited the moment he was cast as Riddler, but the more I think about it, especially after watching this again, the more I think it’ll be an absolutely perfect fit. I’m so excited to see what he does with it. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/DpGz9bn
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts