Nightcrawler: where American Psycho meets Taxi Driver - diving into toxic work culture and it's sociopathy


EDIT: hyperbole can't and shall never be used on the internet. What I mean by sociopathy is the extreme lack of empathy displayed in the movie by all characters, not the condition itself.First of all, despite the title, I have to say that the movie has plenty of originality and soul. Just thought that a bit of clickbait would make sense here lol. I have a terrible memory for names, so sorry for that too.After having it on my must-watch list for a thousand years, and avoiding it spoilers at all costs, I must say that it finally paid off. I am at moment at my life where I am unemployed and looking up for a job and this movie shows the stupid work culture our generation has to deal with.Moronic and inhumane work conditions, being undervalued or outplayed by your boss (two moments come to mind: where Lou's assistant has to come up with his own new salary or Lou's "boss" underpaying him for the footage he had - based on his competitor's numbers) and even the "eat each other" relationship between employers and employees, a topic touched in other work such as Parasite (in Nightcrawler these come up as every single character being underpaid and kinda forced to work without any ethics, be it Lou's competitors by having contacts within the police force, he and Lou going way beyond the speed limits, his boss underpaying him but, at the same time, being raped by Lou in order to keep her job, and his assistant to go beyond his moral boundaries and accepting slave labor pay - or pretty close to that - not born in the states, but 30 dollars per week, I am pretty safe to say that)....I don't know, it kinda hit home. Especially the whole no-substance speech that Lou engages in all the time, and it morphing from the employee jargon to the employer jargon, as the movie progresses. He starts as a rather mediocre aspirant, despite we knowing that he can be extremely dangerous, and gets "promoted" to a successful business owner. And we see he getting abused by that position and abusing that position as well, which I think is the genius point of the whole script and performances. In today's society, we are trained to abuse others instead of being abused.I don't know, I just think this movie is awesome besides one point: the ending lacks a "punch". I must say I thought Lou would engage into actual homicide in order to get a story. However, I never thought that was needed, or that was the best way to end the movie. In fact, I absolutely LOVE that Lou never killed anyone with his own hands (maybe the cop at the start? we never know, but given his actions throughout the movie, I don't think he did), but I think the ending falls kinda flat either as an illusion (like American Psycho, where we don't know if he actually killed or not - be it in the movie or the excellent book) or or as an actual realization - a victory, of sorts. I just didn't felt like the movie was ready to end - some 10 or 20 minutes could make the end be waaaay more impactful and "misterious".​Anyway, hope you enjoyed my small review about the movie! This one really sparked my interest to do something of the sort. Have yourselves a great week! via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3wpjDqe
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts