Can anyone help me understand why Johnny Depp was fired by Warner Bros, yet they continue to hire Ezra Miller? Am I missing something that I'm unaware of?


I just read an article about The Flash entering production, which is why this thought came to my mind at seemingly random on a Sunday morning.First off, I just want to make it clear that I'm not trying to be incendiary or victim blaming or anything of the sort. I am not a rabid Depp fan who's trying to libel Amber Heard, and I mention that up front because I see a lot of hateful comments targeted toward her on the internet at times. If Johnny Depp is guilty of physically assaulting Heard during their marriage, then he received just punishment by being fired from Fantastic Beasts 3, and I really don't want to open up a can of worms in that regard. My own personal feeling is that he was clearly in a downward spiral of drugs and alcohol the past decade or so, and it was impacting his career, so whether or not some of those claims were false, at best this might serve as a wakeup call for him to seek help and better himself in general.Having said that, I truly do not understand how Warner Bros can fire an actor over hearsay (especially when it's claims made during a contentious, high profile divorce), and then turn around and hire another actor for the exact same project, who is literally on camera physically assaulting a female (https://youtu.be/-HcZrioDR1Y). This isn't about trying to say one deserves it more than the other or that one is guilty and the other isn't -- it's just pointing out the apparent hypocrisy at Warner Bros.Not only is Miller quite ironically also attached to FB3, but they also literally just hired him for The Flash. He has never even addressed the video or apologized to the fan he is seen choking and pushing to the ground. Some people dismissed it as a joke out of context at first, but witnesses who were there said it was a legitimate assault and he was even kicked out of the bar as a result.I don't have a Twitter and I don't subscribe to cancel culture so I'm not gunning for Miller to get "canceled" -- humans make mistakes and I believe all are deserving of redemption. I just don't get how Miller has evaded repercussions from this in today's era, and I truly don't understand how one actor can be fired over allegations while another actor whose assault was captured on camera gets a free pass. The fact that he hasn't even acknowledged or apologized for it in any way is what irks me a bit, but again, personal feelings notwithstanding, how does a major Hollywood studio punish one actor on a project for something while continuing to hire another for the exact same behavior?Can anyone help me understand this logic? Am I missing something?Sorry if this isn't r/movies talk, I just didn't really know where else to post it tbh. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3ueGEdn
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts