Nicolas Cage has been in 100 narrative feature films. I watched all 100 in 2021.


At the beginning of the year, my goal was to watch 30 films from a different actor/actress every month. I ripped the idea off a friend who came up with a "30 Days of Costner" list, which I then preceded to steal his list and complete that task. I then did months for Marion Cotillard, Meryl Streep, Danny DeVito, and Nic Cage. It was at this point that I knew that doing this every month wasn't going to be sustainable, so instead I decided that I would simply continue on with the rest of Cage's filmography, daunting as it may be. Here's the results:Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) - Quite possibly the GOAT comic book movie. 5/5Raising Arizona (1987) - Is it possible to adore Holly Hunter anymore than I already do? Likely not. But yeah, a great comedy that gets a bit crazy when it needs to, and with some terrific supporting performances. 5/5Adaptation. (2002) - Probably my favorite Nic Cage performance? Also, Chris Cooper was creepy as hell in this and was just perfect. Like most Kauffman films, still not fully comprehending the movie even after a rewatch. 4.5/5Pig (2021) - Come for the Nic Cage absurdity, stay for the gorgeous slow-burn examination of existentialism. 4.5/5Wild at Heart (1990) - This movie went *insert heavy meal riffs* from zero to 100 pretty fast. Thought the scenes with the mom *insert heavy metal riffs* could've used some trimming and not be so f'n weird. *Insert heavy metal riffs* Obligatory stanning of Laura Dern. 4.5/5National Treasure (2004) - "Snorkel. See, I can do it, too. Albuquerque" Is it dumb? Yes. Am I being biased because of nostalgia? Also yes. But is this still extremely entertaining and fun? Also, yes. I might need to go on a Sean Bean kick here soon, because I'll be damned if the man isn't one of the best at delivering lines, no matter how ridiculous they are. 4.5/5Joe (2013) - The third act could've used some re-writing, but overall a really solid film and one of Cage's better performances.4/5Lord of War (2005) - I've seen this plenty of times before, still pretty entertaining each time. 4/5Rumble Fish (1983) - Oh man, so many things to enjoy about this movie. The stylization, the score, the casting. I also think this is my introduction younger Mickey Rourke, which is...something. 4/5The Rock (1996) - What a cast. Third act was a little bit if a let down compared to the rest of the movie. 4/5Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - Well that was grim. Cage was pretty great here, no qualms with him getting an Oscar for this. Elizabeth Shue was great as well. 4/5Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) - Another one that is likely receiving a bias booster, but this is my Nic Cage list and I'll do what I want. 4/5Kick-Ass (2010) - Cage is having a blast with this role, and I love it. 4/5Red Rock West (1993) - Dennis Hopper plays such a great bad guy. Also, unexpected Dwight Yoakem is unexpected. 4/5Matchstick Men (2003) - I definitely didn't recognize Alison Lohman. I also didn't realize Ridley Scott directed this, although the more I think about it, the more the humor and sensibility reminds me of A Good Year, so there's that. Also, I did not see the twist coming, at all. It really got me. It boomed me, even. It was so good. 4/5Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018) - What a surprise this was. Highly entertaining, and the humor came from a million different directions. 4/5The Croods: A New Age (2020) - I was surprised by the first one and enjoyed it, but this one is even better. It was fun and had plenty of laughs. It did exactly what it wanted to do. 4/5Moonstruck (1987) - Well, that was fairly underwhelming, considering it's reputation. Cher was great, as was Dukakis. Cage couldn't seem to decide how to play this one? Script was sharp, but again, good but not great. 3.5/5Face/Off (1997) - Enjoyed the absurdity of the set-up and most of the second act, but the final 40 minutes didn't mesh as well. 3.5/5Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) - This was a re-watch, and I definitely enjoyed it more this time around. 3.5/5The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (2009) - For a movie that's two hours long, it certainly rushed through everything at the end there. Pacing was on point for the rest of the movie, though. Could've done without Cage's peekaboo accent. 3.5/5The Cotton Club (1984) - Man, what a cast assembled for this. Watched the encore version, which apparently has a lot more dancing? It's a shame they were mostly cut in the original, because they're great here. Also, James Remar being only 30 when he filmed this is absolutely hilarious to me. Just not something I was expecting to see. 3.5/5The Croods (2013) - Enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Visuals were pleasing, and while the comedy was hit or miss, enough of the jokes landed to keep me entertained. 3.5/5Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) - Kathleen Turner was something else, wasn't she? I didn't care for Cage's performance here. Like, I know why and how the nasal voice makes sense for what he wanted to do, but that doesn't mean I have to like the execution. 3.5/5Con Air (1997) - I know Michael Bay is known mostly for collisions and explosions, but the amount of them in a movie that takes place primarily on an airplane is really something. 3/58MM (1999) - Decent little thriller, younger Joaquin was fun to watch. 3/5Snake Eyes (1998) - This movie pretends that it has twists, which is pretty funny. 3/5Bringing Out the Dead (1999) - Thought this one just meanders around too much. Solid supporting cast, especially Goodman. 3/5The Weather Man (2005) - A decent chunk of the humor didn't land correctly, holding the movie back. 3/5Kiss of Death (1995) - Nic Cage got yoked for this this. He was terrifying. Also, obligatory stanning of the Tucci. 3/5Mandy (2018) - When this came out in 2018, I gave it a *checks notes* 4.5?!?!? Woof, what was I thinking? Cage does his best to get back into it, but the first half of this is ROUGH. 3/5Racing with the Moon (1984) - Penn and Cage work well off each other. The movie flirts with several themes but doesn't fully commit to each one. Dialogue also left more to be desired when it wasn't being delivered by Cage. 3/5Birdy (1984) - For as weird as the movie is overall, this is one of the more straightforward performances by Cage. Big props to Matthew Modine as well. 3/5Drive Angry (2011) - I can definitely see why people call this one a stinker, but the ridiculous camp in this just hits the right note for me. Until the third act, that is. Not sure if the movie changed gears too much, or if I just grew tired of it. 3/5Primal (2019) - Typical Cage B movie elevated by Kevin Durand chewing up scenes as the bad guy. What doesn't this guy star in more movies? Fincher, how has this man not been a lead in your movies yet? 3/5Brubaker (1980) - An okay movie elevated by Robert Redford being one of the best. 3/5Astro Boy (2009) - They managed to get one hell of a voice cast for this. 3/5Amos & Andrew (1993) - Cage and Sam Jackson pull their own weight here, and while the subject of some of the satirical jokes are still issues today, the script didn't do much and leaves the movie in the land of mediocre. 2.5/5City of Angels (1998) - Didn't so anything for me, but it wasn't bad either. The tagline of "She didn't believe in angels, until she fell in love with one" certainly pegs the film into the right hole, quality wise. 2.5/5World Trade Center (2006) - One of Cage's better performances. Pretty deep cast, including a few who weren't quite famous yet. 2.5/5Prisoners of the Ghostland (2021) - "Don't make me karate chop you" There was some decent/interesting world building here, but it also felt like they didn't go far enough in actually using it? Cage has his moments, but I was also expecting him to be more unhinged in this? 2.5/5It Could Happen to You (1994) - A movie full of characters making questionable decision after questionable decision. Rosie Perez was terrific. 2.5/5Dog Eat Dog (2016) - Schrader trying to be edgy for the sake of being edgy is some of the most eye-rolling stuff out there. Dafoe and Cage work well together. 2.5/5Windtalkers (2002) - Pretty solid cast, but what in the blazes was that soundtrack? I was legitimately laughing at it several times throughout the movie. 2.5/5Color Out of Space (2019) - So, Annihilation but with more drugs and colors? 2.5/5The Family Man (2000) - Chasing down someone you love in an airport for the climax, how original. 2.5/5The Trust (2016) - Was fun at times, but couldn't keep anything going consistently. 2.5/5Bangkok Dangerous (2008) - Was pleasantly surprised by this one. The entire third act is a bloody mess, and the cutting for the entire thing was sloppy, but this wasn't half bad. 2.5/5National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007) - Gonna go out a limb here and say that it wasn't as good as the first one. 2.5/5Ghost Rider (2007) - Not as bad as I remembered, but still not good. 2/5Guarding Tess (1994) - Come on, Shirley, you're better than this. 2/5Captain Corelli’s Mandolin (2001) - This is to "Quo Vadis, Aida", what "Pearl Harbor" is to "The Thin Red Line". Never knew Christian Bale was in this, he was serviceable. John Hurt was easily the best part. 2/5Army of One (2016) - The self-awareness on this one kept throwing me for a loop. At points, it seemed like brilliant satire. And then 30 seconds later, it would deliver some of the most garbage dialogue that I couldn't tell anymore. That being said, this might be one of Cage's top 5 most absurd performances, which is really saying something. 2/5Stolen (2012) - Pretty decent cast, but this movie made very little sense. 2/5Valley Girl (1983) - Movie was filled with creeps and insufferables. 2/5Snowden (2016) What a waste of a pretty solid cast. 2/5Vampire’s Kiss (1988) 33 years later, has anybody figured out what exactly Cage was doing here? Does he know? 2/5Honeymoon in Vegas (1992) - For a movie that that has a fairly predictable ending, the plot points to get there were rather surprising. And other than Cage being Cage, that's about all the credit I can give to the movie? It's a clunky mess that is cheap on the laughs. This being nominated for best film at the Globes is funnier than any joke in the movie. 2/5Trapped in Paradise (1994) - Had some great jokes, but few and far between. I typically enjoy Dana Carvey, but didn't do anything for me here.G-Force (2009) - Plenty of eye-rolling went on here, and for all intents and purposes, this should have a lower grade, but Sam Rockwell's voice acting here is great and deserves a couple of stars by itself. He should do more voice work. 2/5The Frozen Ground (2013) - I watched that entire movie without realizing that was Vanessa Hudgens, lol. Anywho, pretty forgettable movie. 2/5Running with the Devil (2019) - There for a while, every five minutes a new character actor showed up and surprised me. Overall it wasn't terrible, but also the plot seemed rather meaningless? Also, the "twist" was the most obvious thing in the world. 2/5Fire Birds (1990) - Basically 85 minutes of Nic Cage yelling while flying around in helicopters while Tommy Lee Jones grumbles. 2/5The Runner (2015) - It has the political intrigue, but they try to cover way too much ground in too little time. 2/5The Boy in Blue (1986) - A rather dull biopic, but Cage is absolutely jacked here. I mean, it makes sense given that it's a movie about a watersport athlete, but DAMN. 2/5Willy’s Wonderland (2021) - Movie tried wayyy too hard to be the next great cult classic. 1.5/5Seeking Justice (2011) - There were other signs before, but I knew this movie was in real trouble when I saw what they did with Guy Pearce's hair and makeup. 1.5/5Kill Chain (2019) - Cage is a supporting character here despite being the only person the poster. It starts off interestingly enough, but then tries to do too many things at once and gets lost. 1.5/5Sonny (2002) - Only movie that Cage directed. Definitely an intriguing story there, but almost nothing else works here. It completely blowing my mind that this made $120 million, almost all of which was pretty evenly divided between the US, Greece, Spain, and Hong Kong. 1.5/5Dying of the Light (2014) - Cage looked bored in this; that makes two of us. 1.5/5The Ant Bully (2006) - An all-star cast, but that's about it. 1.5/5The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (2010) - I'm going to send a letter to the UN, requesting that they implement a law that makes wasting a performance by Alfred Molina a war crime. 1.5/5Between Worlds (2018) - Starts off with a weird premise that's never fully explained, and then goes off the rails about halfway in. Cage was definitely trying to channel his 90s self here, but it didn't work. 1.5/5A Score to Settle (2019) - Pretty sure I won't remember this one a year from now. 1.5/5Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001) - 73 versions of this film are out there, this might be the worst one I've seen. 1.5/5Time to Kill (1989) - There's no rhyme or reason to most of this movie, I genuinely wonder how much if it was made up on the fly by Cage. 1/5Never on Tuesday (1989) - Ummmm...wut? 1/5Arsenal (2017) - I might do a dissertation on the relationship between how horrible Cage's hair/makeup is and how crazy his performance it is, because I'm telling you, after about 80 of his movies, I think I'm starting to see a pattern. 1/5Deadfall (1993) - The most Nic Cage has ever Nic Caged. Almost as if someone was playing a caricature of him. 1/5Outcast (2014) - Of all the "interesting" accent choices that Cage has made, this is certainly near the top. 1/5Season of the Witch (2011) - Plenty of things wrong with this, but the camera work was especially disastrous. 1/5Rage (2014) - What a mess. 1/5Pay the Ghost (2015) - Another bland supernatural horror film. 1/5Grand Isle (2019) - None of the choices by the characters make a lick of sense. 1/5Vengeance: A Love Story (2017) - What in the R rated Lifetime movie was that? 1/5Inconceivable (2017) - This was the third one star movie in a row for Cage, my man was laying turkey eggs. 1/5The Humanity Bureau (2017) - Nicolas, buddy, who hurt you? 1/5Zandalee (1991) - Steve Buscemi was probably the best part about this movie, and he's barely in it. 1/5Trespass (2011) - Nicole, you should know better. 1/5Mom and Dad (2017) - I like the premise here, and this could've been a lot of fun, but it's so terribly made, I had to resist the urge to shut it off several different times. 1/5Next (2007) - "I like the rain""Whaaaaa? You like rain? *I* like the rain! Am I starting to fall in love with you?"The special effects in this were laughably bad. So were many other aspects of thisThe Wicker Man (2006) - Woof. 1/5Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) - Quite possibly the worst cinematography that I've ever seen in a big budget film, yikes. 0.5/5211 (2018) - Cage's agent should be fired. 0.5/5Jiu Jitsu (2020) - At one point, the camera inexplicably switches over to POV during a fight scene, and somewhere Roger Deakins had a heart attack without knowing why. 0.5/5Looking Glass (2018) - "No way this could be as bad as Alice Through the Looking Glass", I said to myself naively. I was wrong. 0.5/5USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage (2016) - Look up the word excellent and know what you'd find? The definition of excellent, which this absolutely was not. 0.5/5Left Behind (2014) - Some of the worst acting that I've ever seen, so it has that going for it? 0.5/5​Comparing my ratings to the average on Letterboxd, movies with Nic Cage get an average score of 2.37 from me, while Letterboxd gives an average of 2.73 for the same movies.Comparing my grade to the average on Letterboxd, here's what they say I graded the harshest:​Mom and Dad12.9-1.9Looking Glass0.52.1-1.6USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage0.52.1-1.6Vampire’s Kiss23.4-1.4Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance0.51.9-1.4And here's what I graded more kindly:​National Treasure4.53.21.3Gone in 60 Seconds42.91.1Primal32.10.9Wild at Heart4.53.70.8The Croods: A New Age43.20.8If you made it this far, thanks for reading! I'm undecided if I'll try another actor's filmography in 2022, but I'll certainly take suggestions.https://ift.tt/32ym8vV is my Letterboxd if anyone wants to follow. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3qGGbA2
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts