Jenny hits different as a traumatised adult just trying to get by in life.


I recently watched Forrest Gump, Last time I watched it I was probably about 13/14, I'm now 28. I remember as a kid not liking Jenny as a character because of the obvious reasons - e.i, Jenny being a neurotypical functioning adult who crossed a boundary with someone with impaired mental abilities who she strung along for decades. But, watching it as an adult, I saw a deeply traumatised and very human person dealing with her own trauma in a turbulent time of human history.I think if the film was from her perspective we'd all think differently of her but the perspective is from Forrest who had a very narrow view of the world and didn't understand nuances, like he didn't even understand than Jenny was being abused by her father. She was too fucked up and traumatised to commit to someone like Forrest, but as a society we see women as care takers so we believe she should've just been with him for his sake cus we feel bad for him for pining after her.Forrest never had a bad thing to say about Jenny and he loved her with her flaws and all til the very end, so why can't we as the audience? Why do we believe that Forrest was owed Jenny? Why do believe that she deserved all the bad things that happened to her and castrate her for the decisions she made?With saying all that I still got annoyed when she slept and left, I wish the movie explored her reasons more but hey, you get what you are given. Maybe the book goes into more detail? Anyway, that's my thoughts on Jenny. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/32PNe10
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts