I watched Melancholia last night and it left me feeling gut-punched.


I watched Melancholia last night without knowing anything about it beforehand and I can’t get it out of my head today. The apocalyptic storyline was somewhat interesting and the cinematography was beautiful, but what really got to me was the depiction of Justine and Claire trying to manage their respective mental illnesses in the midst of the circumstances happening around them.Watching Justine try to make it through all the social obligations of her wedding while feeling her depression start to overwhelm her, and seeing her turn to the loved ones around her for help and understanding only to be met with an increase in pressure/expectation from each of them was agonizing. Then, watching Claire try to manage her anxiety and hold it together enough to be a parent to her child, and seeing the two sisters simultaneously trying to help one another while managing their own difficulties was emotionally overwhelming.These characters affected me, and the movie left me with an intense feeling of existential loneliness. The whole thing was difficult to watch, and just fantastic. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2ZYcK3o
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts