The Stranger of The Big Lebowki (1998) is an angel, witnessing and appreciating the Dude: an overall good person, content with his lot in life.


Edit: There is always the intention behind the writing. Reddit's agreeance or kneejerk reaction to perceived spirituality is irrelevant. Kubrick prided himself on keeping tight-lipped and letting the audience interpret the work. He would later reveal the intention of A Space Odysseys ending in a 1980 interview with Japanese filmmaker Jun'ichi Yaoi. 13 academy award-winning filmmakers raised in a religious household with a history of underlying spiritual themes don't need to blatantly explain the intention of the character. It would be underselling the film to automatically assume the Stranger is a lazy narrative device. I've resisted highlighting tells so you can form your own conclusions.VOICE-OVERThey call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn't find it to be that exactly, but I'll allow as there are some nice folks there. ' Course, I can't say I seen London and I never been to France, and I ain't never seen no queen in her damn undies as the fella says. But I'll tell you what, after seeing Los Angeles and thisahere story I'm about to unfold-- wall, I guess I seen somethin' ever' bit as tupefyin' as ya'd see in any a those other places, and in English too, so I can die with a smile on my face without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. A way out west there was a fella, fella I want to tell you about, fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least, that was the handle his lovin' parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude. Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'.THE STRANGERHow ya doin' there, Dude?DUDEAhh, not so good, man.THE STRANGEROne a those days, huh. Wal, a wiser fella than m'self once said, sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar, wal, he eats you.DUDE (absently)Uh-huh. That some kind of Eastern thing?THE STRANGERFar from it.THE STRANGERI like your style, Dude.THE DUDE LOOKS UP, ABSENTLYWell I like your style too, man. Got a whole cowboy thing goin'.THE STRANGERThankie... Just one thing, Dude. D'ya have to use s'many cuss words?THE DUDE LOOKS AT THE STRANGER AS IF JUST NOW NOTICING HOW OUT OF PLACE THE COWPOKE ISThe fuck are you talking about?THE STRANGER CHUCKLES INDULGENTLY AND PUSHES OFF FROM THE BAR.MAUDEWhat do you do for fun?DUDEOh, you know, the usual. Bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.DUDETwo oat sodas, Gary.GARYRight. Good luck tomorrow.DUDEThanks, man.GARYSorry the hear about Donny.DUDEYea. Well, you know, sometimes you eat the bear, and, uh.THE STRANGERHowdy do, Dude.DUDEOh, hey man, how are ya? I wondered if I'd see you again.THE STRANGERWouldn't miss the semis. How things been goin'?DUDEAhh, you know. Strikes and gutters, ups and down.THE STRANGER'S EYES CRINKLE MERRILYSure, I gotcha.THE STRANGERSure. Take it easy, Dude--I know that you will.THE DUDE, LEAVING, NODSYeah man. Well, you know, the Dude abides.GAZING AFTER HIM, THE STRANGER DRAWLS, SAVORING THE WORDSThe Dude abides.HE GIVES HIS HEAD A SHAKE OF APPRECIATION, THEN LOOKS INTO THE CAMERA.I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there, the Dude, takin' her easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes The finals. Welp, that about does her, wraps her all up. Things seem to've worked out pretty good for the Dude'n Walter, and it was a purt good story, dontcha think? Made me laugh to beat the band. Parts, anyway. Course-I didn't like seein' Donny go. But then, happen to know that there's a little Lebowski on the way. I guess that's the way the whole turned human comedy keeps perperuatin' it-self, down through the generations, westward the wagons, across the sands a time until- aw, look at me, I'm ramblin' again. Wal, uh hope you folks enjoyed yourselves.HE BRUSHES HIS HAT BRIM WITH A FINGERTIP AS WE BEGIN TO PULL BACKCatch ya further on down the trail. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3iSxm1v
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts