The Way, Way Back (2013) is a really charming movie


This is a coming of age movie about an awkward teen who gets a summer job at a water park and slowly becomes more confident under the mentoring of the park manager (played by Sam Rockwell). Rockwell is funny as hell in this and oozes charisma. Steve Carell plays one of the most unlikeable characters I think he's ever played.Liam James is in the lead role here and I think he does an amazing job. This reminds me of my younger self... just painfully painfully awkward. You can't help but feel for him. What I like about this movie is that it doesn't feel to "hollywood" if you catch my drift, the family situation feels real and sad but there's a cautious optimism to it which makes the end result an uplifting one. Mainly, the balance of comedy and drama is really well done... so story wise it's nothing new compared to other coming of age movies but it really manages to make the most of what it has.I've tried to find films with similar vibes to it. The Kings of Summer (2013) was good too but IMO nowhere near as good. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3fcpYuM
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts