Kingdom of Heaven 15th Anniversary; Never shared photos I took on the Ouarzazate film set


After seeing this thread, I decided to finally share some of the images I took on the set of Kingdom of Heaven in March 2004. This was when they were shooting in Ouarzazate, Morocco, close to Atlas Studios.I was fortunate enough to get a visitor pass through my aunt, who had worked with Ridley Scott before on 1492. I spent about 10 days on set, just soaking everything in and loving it. I only had a cheapo snapshot film camera with me, which hopefully excuses the image quality. I've tried to touch them up a bit digitally.I was there during the big castle shoots and the main protagonist speech, with some 1000 extras on set. This was a segmented castle that the crew had built for this movie and some of the segments were in different architectural styles. They used and re-used it in very smart ways.I've never shown these images publicly before, so I hope you enjoy them. They're wonderful memories I cherish. Happy to answer any questions I can.Castle set from outsideOverview of the castle from aboveThe quality was insane. Even standing on it you thought it was real. You had dozens and hundreds of people walking up there.As it looked in the movieThe view over the wall. You can faintly see white balls going into the distance. The VFX team used those to measure the distance.They built these life-size towers for real. IIRC they were burnt down for the final battle.This is what it looked like in the movie combinedArchwayWith so many extras, the make up teams were working overtimesMy late aunt at her jobIt was insanely busy all the timeThis area was constantly used. If you watch the movie closely, you can spot it as many different locations.Extras as soldiers waiting for their cueOne of the assistant directors in the foreground. Wish I could remember his name.Busy marketplaceIn the movieShoutout to /r/TrebuchetAnd in the movieMy favorite shot. This catapult was incredibly impressiveSeen from above in the movieCloserOn that wooden balcony you can spot Orlando Bloom in blue, shooting close-ups of his rally speechEquivalent in the movieJust some of the propsSoldier on horseGuard extrasMore guardsShooting the lynching scenes with the Hungarian stuntmenThe guys got extra pay for doing theseHere in the movieI happened to catch a similar angleAlways loved this shot of two of the stuntmenThis was a real Kasbah that was use for the Ibelin scenesIn the movieIn the backThis was the interior. On the balcony a scene between Orlando Bloom and Eva Green was being shot. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3dsStEf
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts