Given both the success of Parasite and Bong Joon-ho's recent comments on watching subtitled foreign films, do you think more people will be persuaded to take more of an interest in foreign cinema?


And a follow-up question: is anybody here genuinely hesitant to watch foreign-language films because of subtitles? If so, why?I've often seen people mention that they only watch movies that are in their native language, and even observed people outright complaining about having to read subtitles. And not only online, but with quite a few of my friends and colleagues as well.Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I personally find much more interest in foreign-language films than I do English films. It's always been very important to me personally to observe and be open to all kinds of art, whether it be film, music, or what have you, from all different kinds of cultures and regions. Even outside of the entertainment aspect, viewing many different cultural styles is incredibly beneficial in general, and helps me grow as an artist myself. When you limit yourself only to films in your native language, you're missing out on other fantastic films that are equally as great as Parasite.And don't get me wrong, I loved Parasite. It was my favorite film of 2019, and I'm super glad that it's getting the acknowledgement that it deserves. But outside of Parasite, I generally don't see too many foreign movie discussions on this sub, so I'm curious to hear any and all of your personal opinions on the subject in general. Are you often relatively open to watching foreign films? Or do subtitles and/or other aspects of foreign cinema genuinely bother you? And for those of you that watched Parasite; did it make watching foreign movies appeal more to you? via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2UjkFTq
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts