"Welcome to Chechnya" is an incredible and horrifying documentary. For the love of God don't ignore this movie.


Just finished it and I'm kind of in awe. It follows the efforts of LGBT activists in Russia as they move Chechen refugees out of the country. It's far from an easy, feel-good watch but I haven't seen a documentary move me on an issue like this in a very long time.You might have heard about the VFX twist of the film: it utilizes deep fake technology to hide the identities of activists, refugees, and their families without the need to blur their faces. It's weirdly seamless and helps along a desperately human story. It's on the shortlist for the visual effects Oscar... don't be surprised if it winds up with a nomination.I went straight to the subreddit and was disappointed to see it didn't have a discussion thread or a ton of buzz, so I thought I'd throw it out there. It's a great film and if you have HBO, you should really give it a try.There's a website listing some potential methods to get involved with the issue as well:https://ift.tt/3qM2OkG via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2Op3yyY
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts