In the Mouth of Madness is one of Carpenter's best movies


I recently watched John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness and, man, did that movie leave an impression on me. Halloween and The Thing are always universally praised (and deservedly so, don't get me wrong) but I really think In the Mouth of Madness could give both these movies a run for their money. The whole movie is just an incredible love letter to H.P. Lovecraft; it presents these Lovecraftian themes and ideas in a really interesting, fascinating way. As a huge Lovecraft-fan, I believe no movie has come this close to Lovecraft's vision (unless you people have some interesting movie suggestions I'm not aware of as of now?). The whole duality between reality and fiction is captured perfectly by Carpenter. The visuals and the music are great, and Sam Neill gives a brilliant perfomance.I sort of get why this movie doesn't have the same status as, for example, Halloween; it's more complex and less straightforward than most of Carpenter's other movies, and the tension may not be as high, but all in all I think it's the most interesting movie he ever made, and sadly it is a little slept on. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/39vGCFK
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts