I wish studios produced more historical epics


I guess the reason there aren't many historical epics anymore is because the audience isn't interested as I or you would be. I really truly wish studios invested more in historical epics though. Some of them are in my all-time Top 15 list of movies and I rewatch a lot of them, even the worse rated ones, over and over again.Think about it - they took the pages out of some historical book, tweaked it for movie going audiences, and made a movie out of it. I don't mind if many of them are not entirely factually accurate. I just truly love seeing the ancient/medieval world visualized on screen.Lets take some examples from my favorites:Gladiator. This movie has stuck with me forever. I love this movie. Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus were actual historical figures, the story, the setting of ancient Rome, the epic soundtrack, it was all just so fantastic. It made me fascinated with Ancient Rome.Kingdom of Heaven (Directors Cut). This genuinely got me interested in learning about the Crusades. This movie took place between the 2nd and 3rd crusade and the conflict (Battle of Hattin) and Siege of Jerusalem took place a year before the start of the 3rd Crusade. Learning about those real life historical figures and being able to see all the crazy stuff that happened back then is truly remarkable. Balian did indeed take charge of the siege of Jerusalem before it fell to Saladin. And to see all of that visually represented gives me goosebumps.Heavily stylized and exaggerated but this is a true underdog story. The fighting, the depiction of the Persians, everything about this makes me want to read the book based on it. Even if exaggerated, this is proof that a great movie can be made with such a simple story.There are so many factually accurate stories that are so remarkable that would translate so well to the big screen. Studios really need to produce more historical epics. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3eE4IS2
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts