‘500 Days of Summer’ felt like a much different film after watching over a decade later.


My SO and I watched this recently and I can’t seem to get out of my head how much different my feelings are about it from then to now. I really enjoy the actors in it, the directing, and I even feel like the dialogue was well written. The thing that bothered me was the all around message. I remembered it being kind of a cute little coming of age story, but left it feeling very cringe worthy this time around. It honestly felt like an incel/nice guy’s manifesto.Spoilers below and basically the way I saw this movie play out on my second viewing.The main protagonist goes through a breakup and everyone around him is desperate to comfort him as he feels sorry for himself, not understanding how this woman could possibly not love him. He then sulks through most of the film after the breakup until he sees her again at a wedding and they dance, where he now believes that there’s a chance for him again. She invites him to a party only to find out that she is now engaged. He storms out of the party as if he’s been totally betrayed by this terrible woman. Cut to the end where they see each other at a park bench and discuss what happened between them and he asks her how she could possibly dance with him at that wedding without it meaning that they were now together again. She explains that she just did what she felt would be fun...he again sulks. He then meets another girl who’s name is Autumn and now he’s ready to do this all over again. This all comes full circle when you think back to the text at the beginning of the film. I’m paraphrasing, but it says something like “this is dedicated to Jennifer (or some name). You bitch.”By the end this just felt like a grudge being settled by the writer or director because some girl in his past didn’t love him back and it left a bad taste in my mouth.Full disclosure: I am terrible at writing. Sorry about that, but I felt like I needed to get this off my chest.Edit: Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me. It’s nice to have a little “whoosh” moment from time to time that checks yourself lol. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3etnzz6
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts