Over the last week or so, I've watched Alien, Gladiator, Blade Runner and The Martian not realising that they were all directed by Ridley Scott until afterwards.


All four are exceptional movies but I found that they all have their own merits and I liked that I wasn't able to instantly tell "this is a Ridley Scott film." Alien is probably my favourite just for the combination of suspense and the acting performances. For me the acting made the whole movie an immersive experience. I can't remember what year it was made but it just has this timelessness to it. You know when you're watching it why it is so iconic.I found Blade Runner an absolutely bizarre film. I watched the final cut and I think I understood what it was getting at, but the pacing was very strange and it kind of broke the trance. That said, the cinematography was incredible and I can imagine how groundbreaking that film would've been at the time. I almost feel like the film was too intellectual for me.Gladiator is just an amazing piece of cinema. I'm not a huge fan of Russell Crowe, but there's no denying he perfectly executed the role. The best part of the movie for me though was Joaquin Phoenix's performance. There's nothing better than when the antagonist steals the show and he absolutely stole the show. One of the easiest to hate bad guys ever. But for reasons that you have to sympathise with. Great movie. It's hard to believe it's 20 years old.I watched The Martian last night and it is just an awesome movie. My favourite character was Jeff Daniels's director of NASA, but I'm biased because i think Jeff Daniels is my favourite actor. The characters are relatively uncomplicated to make way for an outstanding story. It's a long film but you are constantly on the edge of your seat. You know there's bad stuff coming but you don't want to believe it but it's worth it. The ending nearly brought me to tears.I don't know much about Ridley Scott, but from these movies I watched, it seems that he is an amazing director. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them and will be recommending them. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3bVb2Ai
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts