'Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar' is a more modern 'Austin Powers' and is probably my favorite comedy in years


I'll start this out by saying that comedy is subjective, so I may love this, and you may hate it. My type of comedy is absurdist, so stuff like I Think You Should Leave, Detroiters, Tim & Eric, Eric Andre are shows I love. So while I'd still reccomend this movie to anyone, you may not like it if absurdist humor isn't your kinda thing.I recently watched Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar and I can't believe how much I loved this. The only things I was familiar with Kristen Wiig was a few SNL sketches, Ghostbusters, and Wonder Woman '84. So because of this, I never really found her all that funny.But this movie is something special. Like the title of the post says, it's the closest thing to Austin Powers I've seen in a long time, but at the same time, it's very different.The movie starts out and feels normal for the first couple of minutes, then it completely just goes off the rails. Then it reverts back to Barb and Star, two middle-aged best friends and roommates whose lives are dull, but they're friendship is so strong that they find joy in just being together. While the characters are absolutely ridiculous, the chemistry between the two actors is off the charts.The best thing about the movie, and what makes it so like Austin Powers, is the villain, also played by Kristen Wiig. The villain is this albino woman very similar to Dr. Evil. Her plan is to send a bunch of killer mosquitoes to a lobster eating contest and kill all the visitors there. Her motivations for doing all this is one of the funniest scenes in the movie, so I won't spoil it here.The best character of the entire thing is the villain's henchman, an 11-12 year old boy named Yo-Yo who does her evil deeds. Every time this character was on screen I was dying.I watched this movie for the first time last week and I feel like watching it again already, which I rarely do with movies.Give this movie a shot. I thought it would be awful and it's now honestly my favorite released film of the year so far and I can't remember the last time I laughed at a comedy movie this hard.Edit: For those of you who have seen it, I was crying during the submarine driving scene via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3dIeYaB
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts