Watched all the 2020 Best Picture movies after giving them a year to breathe


I had seen all of them at least once before, and I jist wanted to see how my tastes have changed over the course of the year. I did a little ranking for fun, but most of these rankings are adjustable since all these movies are good. These are also personal opinions.Ford v. FerrariAs the legendary actor Christian Bale once said, "You're going to build a car to beat a Ferrari with a Ford?" This is the basic premise of Ford v. Ferrari. This movie is like the time i got a pedicure with my ex-girlfriend, where Im having a blast while its happening but i feel the same after as I did before. Bale and Damon are electric in this movie, and as a whole, I cant think of any real flaws the movie has. For me personally, it just doesnt have the punch that these other movies pack. It does get bonus points for being the only racing movie ive seen where the car movie Ive seen where the Cars look like theyre driving fast.JokerI found that with Joker, I appreciate the good things about it just as much as i did before, but the bad things about it seem worse. I love the way the cinematography and the score create the atmosphere. But the dialogue, nope. The way this script was written felt like it had the potential to be another dogshit DC bust. I would not like this movie if it werent for the visuals and the Joaquin.1917Big surprise for me here. This movie was PHENOMENAL the first couple times I watched it, and it probably would have been my #1 last year. I think this movie relies too much on its visuals and its cinematography to build tension. Once I've seen these shots 3 or 4 times, I can still go, hey thats impressive, but it has just lost that spark for me. As far as dialogue goes, I remember something about chicken dinner, age before beauty, call off the attack, etc. The Andrew Scott cameo gets better each time.Little WomenIt feels disrespectful to rank Little Women on the bottom half of the list, and Im sure Greta is fuming right now. The first time I saw this movie, I was with my girlfriend (who is a Little Women 1994 homer) and she didnt like it which diminished the experience for me. But watching it in the dark without that negative nancy made me realize that I love this movie. The directing, acting, editing, its all a big chef's kiss from me. My heart hasnt felt this full all year after watching Ronan, Pugh, and Co. bring this story to life. This is a movie Ill be showing my kids. When mom isnt home I guess...Once Upon a Time... in HollywoodI wasnt sure what to do with this movie, so I just put it right in the middle of the list. It has that blend of "Tarantino is a genius" moments and "why?" moments that inhabit every one of his movies. Hollywood, my favorite movie theater experience of all time, is a top tier Tarantino in my book. On this watch, I really got to marinate in Leo and Brad's performances and take in all the subtleties of their characters. Cliff Booth and Rick Dalton are my favorite characters in any of the movies on this list. Its so mesmerizing but so much fun, especially for a movie without a real prominent throughaction.The IrishmanA year ago, this movie felt like a chore. 3 and a half hours of a pretty grey gang movie with a lackluster ending. But then something changed and I got super excited to watch it. Watching one of the best direct three of the best feels like such an honor. After Joker jumpstarted the up and coming actor Robert De Niro's career, he gives an awe-inspiring and honest performance that culminates in one of the most heartbreaking last hours in any movie Ive seen. There should also be more appreciation for Ray Romano in the film industry, but thats a discussion for another day.Jojo RabbitIt just has everything I want in a movie. Ive seen people complain that its not satirical enough or doesnt hit hard enough or whatever, but I think that Taika balances comedy and story in a way that stays true to Jojo as a character. Also after watching Game of Thrones this year, its nice to see a happy Alfie Allen.ParasiteYeah, its still great.Marriage StoryNone of these movies hit me quite as hard as Marriage Story, and every time I watch, it hits me even harder. Baumbach made the screenplay of the year, and as a result, this movie feels remarkably real to me. As an acting student, this movie is a fucking playground for me. Adam Driver gives one of my favorite performances of all time, Scarlett's performance (which i didnt love at first) has grown on me a lot with this viewing. Its such a tough watch, but its just something I want to tell everyone I know to watch.Anyways, sorry to rope around back to this topic after a year, but I just had some thoughts and wanted somewhere to convey them. Im going to do some more Best Picture marathons as I await award season, but I probably wont post about themHappy new years. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2JHOZo2
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts