Tenet with subtitles is fantastic...


...and it makes me feel even more confused and frustrated that Nolan consciously chose to obfuscate the dialogue so much in the sound mixing, thereby ruining the experience for so much of the initial audience upon release. Seems like an entirely pointless and counterproductive choice for a movie so conceptually and narratively dense and yet so light on exposition scenes. It's not like Dunkirk where the lack of dialogue is a distinct stylistic trait for the film - quite a lot of Tenet is dialogue-driven, including some key scenes whose emotional and thematic context would basically disappear if you were forced to get by with a "visual experience." I've given Nolan a pass for a lot of things he tends to get shit for - I've enjoyed his films since my childhood and I remain awestruck by the scale, craftsmanship and conceptual ingenuity of his work every time I rewatch his movies - but the shit he pulled with the original Tenet release was just pure pretentiousness.That being said, I had the privilege of experiencing the movie for the first time with subtitles on, and while my head is still thoroughly fucked from all the narrative confusion (even after watching Dark, twice), the movie was exhilarating. I was even able to excuse a lot of what critics disliked about it (the lack of emotional/character depth, the overcomplexity) because the breathtaking setpieces, score, action sequences, and sheer ambition on display made it very easy to just "go along for the ride." Which is what makes it even more unfortunate to me that the dialogue was such an issue when it was released. A pointless additional obstacle to a movie that is already so challenging. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3n4llqF
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts