What trope do you see often enough to hate every time?


Mine is one that I'm having a hard time specifying. It's basically when something paranormal is happening, and authority figures dismiss it immediately due to being unrealistic. I'll give a hypothetical. Let's say a group of sixteen year old girls go to the police and say that a demon zombie or something was in their basement, and that it said it's some curse on their land and that it's going to get them. If any of you have seen a horror movie with teenagers before, you know where it's going. The cop would say "Give me a break! Some demon, you kids are on your phones too much. Now leave me alone, I've got real work to do."This drives me crazy every time. I'm well aware that police officers obviously have to deal with a lot of nonsense, but I also know that in that situation, 95% or more of them would think "There's some meth head squatting in this kid's basement and now I've gotta go take a look." In the majority of movies where I see this trope- whether it's aliens, zombies, leprechauns, demons, dinosaurs, robots, or whatever else you can think of, the cops would not just ignore a person who is scared and thinks they're in immediate danger.I really think I would be able to forgive this trope more often if they'd either bring the authority figure (Police officer, parent, teacher, whatever) in and have them either have their options limited or not be able to be involved in the story or something, in my previous example imagine the demon zombie was no longer there and the cop could say "Whoever or whatever was here is obviously gone, if you ever feel scared you can call us, alright? That's all I can do," or the director could just silently ignore the idea and leave nitpickers to say "Why didn't they just call the police?" I'd rather a consistently good movie with nitpicks than a movie that goes out of its way to annoyingly address the hypothetical nitpicking. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2SXLaLn
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts