It took me three viewings to realize what a great movie Midsommar really is


I liked it a lot the first time I saw it. The idyllic twist on horror and the realistic portrayal of relationships in particular, but I knew I'd pick up on more the second time. And I did, but after that second watch I was fixated on a lot of the same questions you see floating around the internet. What happens to Dani? Is she right or wrong for sacrificing Christian? Does this ultimately make her happy or sad?But I didn't realize the allegorical nature of the movie until my most recent watch, and all those questions faded into the background. Dani is not a typical protagonist whose decisions and realizations drive the plot. She's much more like the main character in a fairy tale. She's an innocent on a treacherous journey, which the audience experiences alongside her.Specifically, I think Dani is a stand-in for every young person navigating trauma for the first time in their life. That could mean going through a horrific grieving process, or just a bad breakup, or both. The point is that in the end, Dani gets over it. She grows. Just like the subjects in the lore described by Pelle. The entire festival is centered around the passage into a new stage of life. The smile on Dani's face isn't the twisted grin of a homicidal may queen, or even the smirking satisfaction of a girl who ditched a loser, it's the deeply serene look of someone who just found out that although life is a series of tragedies, they are almost always surmountable. It's a crucial lesson that most people just don't fully realize until their mid to late 20s. Aster is essentially reaching out to young people everywhere and saying this too shall pass.And I'm sure I'm way behind on this, but watching the movie from that perspective made me realize what a major achievement it is. It's barely even a horror movie. It's an evergreen human drama, wrapped in a Grimm-like fable and executed with absolute precision and class. Very excited to be around for the beginning of this guy's career. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/39XNYSj
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts