I always enjoyed how unpretentious Roger Ebert was.


At the risk of sounding cliche, Ebert is my all time favorite film critic. I still remember tuning in weekly to catch his latest reviews, and it was one of the highlights of my week as silly as that sounds. His writing just had this "everyman" quality that made me understand filmmaking on a more fundamental level.And he never seemed pretentious. I didn't agree with him on everything, but I never got the impression that he felt he was "above" certain films. At the core of it, he simply just loved the medium. It could be a serious drama or it could be a silly film, but he always seemed to appreciate both the depth and the spectacle. He gave superhero films more 3.5/four stars than his contemporaries because he often felt satisfied being entertained rather than just moved with emotion.And I simply appreciated his optimism. One of his most infamous reviews was about Freddy Got Fingered."This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels..."However, in a later review of the film Stealing Harvard, Ebert references Tom Green and Freddy once again saying:But the thing is, I remember "Freddy Got Fingered" more than a year later. I refer to it sometimes. It is a milestone. And for all its sins, it was at least an ambitious movie, a go-for-broke attempt to accomplish something. It failed, but it has not left me convinced that Tom Green doesn't have good work in him. Anyone with his nerve and total lack of taste is sooner or later going to make a movie worth seeing.Unfortunately, this hasn't happened (as of yet), but I always enjoyed his positive outlook on filmmaking in general.He was simply the best at what he did: using film criticism in a way that resonates with an audience unlike anyone who came before. Or aftee that matter. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3qq0DEp
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts