Moneyball deserves a lot more credit than it got


When people discuss the best movies of the 2010s, several strong candidates come up. 12 Years a Slave, Parasite, Dunkirk, and Her are mentioned immediately. With a bit more thought, you may remember Argo, Arrival, or Captain Phillips. Obviously there are candidates among those with specific interests like the MCU movies or Blade Runner 2049.For me, though, Moneyball absolutely belongs among the top choices. That this movie didn't win a single Academy Award, and is conspicuously absent from discussions about the great movies of the 2010s, just baffles me. I honestly believe that it being a baseball movie hurt its reception a lot.What's brilliant about Moneyball is that the sport is front-and-center; it's not built as a tool through which the main character acts, but it is the story. This is truly rare among the great sports movies. Southpaw was a fantastic movie, but that was more about loss, substance abuse, and retribution. The Blind Side was more about poverty and family. Compare this to Moneyball, where the main plot is about a man taking a data-driven approach to building a baseball team.And they made it interesting.We see so much happening in the background that it turns into a masterpiece of character development. What really made this movie special to me was how much Billy Beane, played by Brad Pitt, developed in such a subtle but drastic way. In addition, it had some of the most memorable scenes in modern movie history. Sometimes when I'm rewatching it, I have to just sit back and appreciate the message.I just rewatched the movie for the fourth time since it came out, and it has remained a winner in my book all this time. I wonder if anyone else regards it as highly as I do. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2DnFjM5
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts