Appreciation post for POTC: At World’s End (2007)


I think Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End is the best of the original trilogy (or at least equal in praise to the first two).Edit: this is a post I have written v fast out of excitement and hype after just watching it. Please do not feel it necessary to read the following if you have a differing opinion from me, this is nearly just a couple paragraphs of text to express my feelings for the film. This isn’t a piece created to inspire argument.Just watched it for the first time since 2007 and I was absolutely blown away. Somewhere between an 8 or 9 out of 10 on my scale. I am in awe of how amazing this film is but apparently it’s rated beneath the first two films-44% on Rotten Tomatoes50% on Metacritic7.1/10 on IMDBThe general critical consensus reads the plot as “incomprehensible”.________________________________________________________________________Personally, I loved it. And I loved how bold it was. I ate everything they threw at me and swallowed with a smile. I loved how long it was. I loved the visual effects.This came out in 2007 and filmed back to back with Dead Man's Chest so therefore visuals must have been completed some time around 2005/2006 - my jaw is DROPPED; half the films that use cgi today look like horse shit compared to this.I understand some people’s complaints about the acting of said individuals Keira Knightly and goofy side characters only really meant for comedy but the scope of the film completely outdid everything for me.But if I could compare it to another film in terms of critical response, it would probably be Aquaman (2018). In all honesty, I did not care for that movie in the slightest. The set pieces and scope of that film were not enough to override the goofs and cheesiness I felt as I cringed watching it.The two leads - Drogo and Johnny Depp’s wife - could be comparable to Bloom and Knightly. Some people like them and some people like them less. They have their moments of seriousness and drama, and they have their moments of comedy (“comedy”).The visual effects in both films were a point of conversation in terms of “groundbreaking cgi”, however as previously mentioned not a lot of films (at least for me) have even come close to the technical ingenuity of AWE’s visual effects. Apart from the two latest Avengers films (which I will say are exceptional) I have yet to see a film blow me away since the original pirate trilogy’s VFX.I watched the original three movies for the first time since 2007 this past week. I had completely forgotten the plot and even some lead characters; it felt like I was watching them for the first time again - a feeling I would give anything for to experience a series like Star Wars and Jurassic Park again.I can safely re-add three characters to my list of favourites ever put to screen - Jack Sparrow, Barbosa, and Davy Jones; Davy Jones especially. Sorry to belabour the point on visual effects but MY GOD if this isn’t the best cgi character right below/or at least NEXT to Josh Brolin’s Thanos then I don’t know my left from my right.Bill Nighy forced a cheeky grin out of me every time I saw him take camera. (There’s a scene with Norrington and Elizabeth in this film and he’s standing in the back with a reaction I burst out in tears laughing - he’s just a genius).The action sequences are breath taking.Hans Zimmer was ROBBED of an Oscar.All in all, I took it as a 2007 movie. And I loved it. Something about films from that golden period of blockbusters (2000-2010) that have a completely different feel to the ones that release now. I don’t know how to put that to words. Hopefully some will understand. Maybe it’s because I’ve come from recent deeper and darker superhero-type genres, that when I look back to a 'simpler' production it pulls at some sort of nostalgia string.Please feel free to leave a comment I’d love to hear what you think. via /r/movies http://bit.ly/2wzKMsq
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts