Hollywood has a clear bias towards replacing red haired people in media, and often replaces them with PoC


This is just something I noticed and decided to catalog at first, but now with today’s post I decided to share my findings. In my opinion (and I’ll provide many examples to support this), Hollywood has an interest in replacing red-haired people in media. In an effort to be more inclusive they will race-change characters when Caucasians are overrepresented. The first on the chopping block in the process of doing this seems to always be red-haired people. Here are some examples that I’ve compiled:ComicsMarvel(6(4))MJ-PoCMakkari-PoCElectro-PoCHeimdall-PoCBlack Widow-BlondeScott Lang-BrunetteDC(10(10))Jimmy Olsen-PoCStarfire-PoCWally West-PoCWally West-PoCIris West-PoCIris West-PoCHawkgirl-PoCMiss Martian-PoCBat Woman-PoCBatgirl(2022)-PoCBatgirl(Lego)-PoCMisc(5(4))Robin(The Boys)-PoCJosie(Archie)-PoCArchie(Archie)-BrunetteAlice Monaghan(Hellboy)-PoCLittle Orphan Annie(Comic Strip)-PoCAnimation(10(7))Ariel(HCA)-PoCBow(SPOP)-PoCSeahawk(SPOP)-PoCIsaac(Castlevania)-PoCApril O'neil(TMNT)-PoCRip Cord(G.I.Joe)-PoCAnita(101 Dalmatians)-PoCPeter Pan(JB)-BlondePeter Pan(Hook)-BrunettePeter Pan(2003)-BlondeBooks(2(1))Little Audrey(Folklore)-BrunetteTriss Merigold(Witcher)-PoCHere's some image examples:https://ift.tt/XsmEUcP is 31 examples, at least 20 of which are major characters, and I would argue that quite a few of those characters additionally serve as role models to red-haired people (Batgirl, Ariel, Annie). Of these examples at least 27 are PoC, and 23 of them are what would be considered African-American. Replacing a minority that has been targeted in the past and is still ridiculed and bullied today, with another much more populous minority is an interesting choice (12.6% of the US population is African-American, red-haired individuals make up 0.6% of the population).I’d like to state that I am not comparing the struggles of the African-American community to that of individuals with red-hair, that isn’t my intent, and I don’t think anyone would even argue they are comparable. However, just because one group is discriminated against, doesn’t mean that another discriminated against group should have their representation virtually deleted.I personally have no problem with race-changing in an attempt to make things more inclusive. However, I fail to see why the dwindling number of red-haired characters are targeted, rather than the far more abundant Caucasian blonde and brunette populations. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/mOIhG4S
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts