Godzilla (2014) is genuinely better because of it's lack of Godzilla


I can foresee this getting slapped down to unpopular opinions, but with Godzilla V. Kong coming up, I decided to rewatch the three movies currently out. I started with King of the Monsters and went backwards, Skull Island back to Godzilla. There's the distinct memory of the immense backlash that Godzilla got due to its roughly 15 minutes of Godzilla screentime. But after watching all three, I firmly believe it's better that way. Skull Island did it very well as well. When the perspective is from the humans (as long as there's a good story written for them), you find yourself seeing these monsters for what they really are; incomprehensibly large and absolutely terrifying. The halo jump past Godzilla? Incredible. The airport scene? Check out the size of him. And that atomic breath scene still gives me shivers. Not to mention the sounds. Likewise, when the characters in Skull Island are looking up at Kong, or he's throwing around helicopters, you really get a sense of the scale of these creatures. Don't get me wrong, King of the Monsters was great, but it just didn't have the same effect.Now, if you'll excuse me, the first Godzilla scene is coming up. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3alm3g6
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts