Shoutout for the acting in Apocalypto (2006)


I finally watched this movie after a 10 year cursed history with it. I only ever heard terrible things about the movie (that were, actually, terrible things about Mel Gibson), but what I was not expecting at all was the stellar casting.There is not one scene where acting is not flawless. It's not one of those movies when you give space for actors to "rob the scene" with their craft, but still, a good portion of the movie depends entirely on performance. The scene where the old mother-in-law does'nt get sold in the slave market... with a single sigh, Isabel Diaz speaks so much. I can't really describe what she made me feel.It's not a drama, it's not a movie about subtle emotions. It's exploitation, it's about a dozen men and women's world ending for them, and all the extreme emotions that are part of something like this. I think it is the second movie in my life I ever watched, too, to show a slave raid from the enslaved people perspective. But whatever the criticism we might have of Gibson's vision, the actors just nail it; and we should give Gibson his credit, at least, for being a competent acting director. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2Xy7bnU
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts