I'm disappointed by biopics about great scientists, mathematicians, and engineers that gloss over, exclude, or misrepresent the science, math, and engineering that made them great.


There are so many biopics that have come out lately about many different brilliant historical figures, but very few of them even touch on what made them brilliant in the first place.Like, I know that Einstein did the hanky panky with his cousin and a ton of other women, but if I wanted to see that drama then I would watch a movie about medieval royalty.The reason I want to watch a movie about Einstein is because I want to see what his motivations were, what his experiments were, and what his thought process was that led him to his great discoveries.What were the great discoveries about? What made the discoveries great?And I get that these films need to appeal to general audiences, but I find it insulting that most movies just assume that audiences won't even understand the questions that led to the brilliant answer.Youtube channels have shown that science and math can be exciting for the average person, even if they don't fully understand it. The V-Sauce channels and some Ted talks are a great example of this.There is so much opportunity for these films to inspire people to get into math, science, and engineering, but when they exclude these things altogether in favor of some often exaggerated drama, it just becomes just another film in a sea of others just like it.Recently I watched Radioactive, a film about Marie Curie, and not only did it sideline the science of radiation and what makes it cool, but in some places it misrepresented it completely, especially the grape scene. (The rest of the film was good though, focusing on her struggle as a woman in the world of science.)I'm just so disappointed by this recent wave of biopics that I had to say something. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2XBC4Yh
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts