(Hook 1991) How my perspective as an adult changes the movie drastically from how I saw it as a child.


I, like many, watched the Steven Speilberg classic Hook as a kid. At the time, I connected with the children on screen. I was fascinated by the adventure and spectacle of the movie. I thought Rufio was the most badass guy alive. I did not connect as much with the older character of peter, the titular Pan of the story. Sure I liked Robin Williams, but I was a kid, and I thought as a kid. Maybe it was because my father never made it to many ball games or that i felt like my father’s work was always put first, at this time in my life, I connected with the jack character.Fast forward twenty years. I catch the movie in a hotel while away on business and it it hits me, I am Peter, and not the cool peter from the end of the film but the frumpy, overworked peter from the start. I was also shocked to see that Robin Williams is closer in age to me in the movie. And as I watched the movie, I get it. The movie works so well because it is at its core, it is a multi-generational movie, its a movie of fathers and sons. As a kid, I never saw the subtle themes of aging and family over success. I saw the film as I saw life, through the eyes of a child.But now I see the movie for what it is, a story of reclaiming your identity apart from your career, a story of realising your true value lies within yourself, sometimes we just have to take the time to look for it.Bangarang .What about you? did your perspective change after watching this movie later in life?What is an older movie that you watched as a kid that you see drastically different as an adult?https://ift.tt/2XvxGtT via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3idLJMv
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts