What are some of your favorite 'troubled production' stories?


There are so many "good" (and horrific) ones to choose from. I think just the nature of film sets, especially with location shooting where big money, eccentric creative talent and a summer camp atmosphere all collide and sometimes create these wild stories of sex, drugs, danger and general debauchery.For me personally, I find everything surrounding Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr. Moreau fascinating. I remember when I was younger being bizarrely drawn to the film in a, 'it's so bad but I can't look away' sort of way. There was something about it that was just fascinating to me. It wasn't until years later that I read all about the insane production. Richard Stanley losing control of things, climbing trees and refusing to come down, getting kicked off his own film and staying out in the jungle. Brando and Kilmer being massive divas and basically doing everything they could to sabotage the production while hating each other, the crazy stories of drugs and sex. I mean the whole production sounds absolutely bonkers and if you get a chance and enjoy these stories of troubled productions, I highly recommend watching the documentary, Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr. Moreau. I believe it's on Amazon Prime right now and offers a very candid look into the whole debacle, including some great insight from Stanley himself. I'm glad he has been able to find his way back to filmmaking all these years later with Color Out of Space which I absolutely loved and I hope he continues to make films.That's just one example though. You also have movies like Apocalypse Now, Fantastic Four, Jaws, World War Z, Fury Road, Titanic, The Crow, The Twilight Zone, the list goes on and on. And that's just films that miraculously got made, not even getting into the crazy productions that never got that far.So what are some of your favorite stories of troubled film (or television) productions? What specifically about those productions did you find so fascinating? via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3gJ3X8R
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts