The Lighthouse: First Impressions (No-Spoilers)


Out here in Los Angeles we got a limited screening of Robert Eggers THE LIGHTHOUSE. Without really spoiling anything I’ll break down what I thought about the film:This is the most David Lynch you can get in a movie without David Lynch directing it. (Not a complaint, an observation.)Sound overwhelms you at every frame. Heightening up these two going crazy.Could be the best performance Willem Dafoe has ever given in his life. One monologue in particular was done so well and shot so beautifully I thought I was looking at a moving painting.Pattinson is also very good but it is a much more subdued performance (well to a point).Lighting and set design really makes you feel like your in late 1800sMusic by Mark Korven is really, REALLY good. You get a taste of it in the trailers but Korven really knows how to put dread in just the right moments of the score.I think this film might be 50/50 on people. It is paced very slowly, deliberately so. And I don’t know if the payoff will work for some. (I had a good size crowd of various ages and some laughed at the ending.) But I thought this was exactly what kind of movie it set out to be. With two performances that should be slam dunks come Oscar season.Anyone else in LA, or anywhere else, able to see it yet? via /r/movies https://ift.tt/33PSmh7
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts